Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My trip to Antioch

Hello my Geddonites.It`s been a few days since my last dispatch so I wanted to tell you guys about my trip to Antioch. This was my first trip into the country of Turkey and let me tell you it was very interesting. First stop on our trip was a place called Snake Castle.This was a castle built by the crusaders over a 1000 years ago.Very impressive structure.It was built on top of a ridge that overlooks the valley.There was a network of castles in the area and they communicated by fire to warn each other of attacks.The next castle was Black Castle.It was smaller than Snake Castle but was also built on a ridge.And the last castle was built by the French.It is in the shape of an Octagon and has a tower on every corner.This castle was more of a fort type of structure.In fact after the French left it the Ottoman`s took it over and built a Mosque and bath house on to it.In fact the bath house was still in use up till 1995.


After the castle tours we went into Antioch and enjoyed a very delicious lunch.I had a Adana Kabob.After we ate we walked around the area around the restaurant for a while.The area was full of little shops and cafes.Very European and relaxed.




The Snake Castle


After lunch we traveled to the main part of the city to it`s museum.The museum had ancient Roman Mosaics and statues.it was an amazing experience to touch an object that over 2000 years ago someone else touched.It was almost like I was touching the hand of the artist themselves.



After the museum we went to the first church in Antioch founded by Peter.The church is actually a cave in the side of a mountain outside the city.The church is located in the same place where the Romans buried their dead. It is said Peter founded the church there because it was away from the city and easily hidden from the authorities because of the persecutions going on.My friends being inside this church gave me a feeling of peace.I imagined myself as part of Peter`s congregation hearing the gospel for the first time. I imagined what it must have been like to sit and be taught by Peter and also Paul two men who experienced Christ so intimately.It was truly a moving experience. Later when the crusaders arrived they built a entrance into the cave and painted a fresco of Christ on the cave wall.But sadly the fresco has long since vanished.









This was truly a fun trip and very informative and moving.I only regret was that my wife and children were not there to share the experience with me. That is the Geddon Report for today.Be a good Geddonite be an informed Geddonite.









No comments:

Post a Comment