Friday, November 20, 2009

The Legend of the Henchbroad


It was a shadowy, fog filled night as Bobby and I traveled across the marshy plane. Many stories had been written of men who traveled this lonely stretch of earth and never returned. But we didn’t believe it. We didn’t subscribe to old wives tales. In fact we considered ourselves intellectuals. Men of science and reason. How could we fall victim to the rambling stories of foolish men who lacked our educational prowess?”! No"! We told ourselves. We would prove once and for all that the legend of the Henchbroad didn’t exist!

We made camp around 10:00 pm. Two hours before the supposed beast was to appear. As we sat by our campfire we shared stories of our experiences with the townsfolk. How that over the years we tried to reason with them and convince them of their follies. We tried to explain the disappearances with logic. For instance when Billy McGillicuty came up missing we told the simpletons that he simply left town for a better job. Or when Ted Spectler went for a walk and never came back. We reasoned that he must have hitchhiked to Monroeville to visit his mother and decided to stay. But our efforts were to no avail. So tonight we decided to put an end to this mumbo jumbo of the Henchbroad once and for all.

As midnight creped closer we were feeling pretty sure of ourselves. Why we have been here almost two hours and not a sound. Not even a stirring of the leaves which covered the ground. We were filled with a sense of pride and bravado as we chose the words we would tell everyone when we returned the next morning. Then we heard it. A shriek that would kill the very soul of a man. Bobby looked at me and asked 'Was that a coyote...Yes it must be a coyote only a coyote would" RAWWWRRRREEEEEKKKKKKSSSSSS!!!! We heard it again but it was closer and louder! We quickly gathered our supplies and headed back to town. As we hurried toward our homes we heard something behind us. Not quite footsteps but something more sinister and primal. As our hurried walk turn into a trot the sound got closer. We didn’t dare look behind us in fear that some woodland beast would overtake us. The faster we traveled the quicker the sound came toward us until we were at a all out run! At this point is when I tripped on a root and fell flat on my face. As I slowly rolled over to assess my injuries I felt a presence over me. In fact it was a stench which permeated the air like a bad perfume. It was a mixture of Charlie and cigarette butts. Only a creature from the very depths of Hell could give off such an aroma. I reluctantly looked up and came face to face with the HENCHBROAD! Shear terror gripped at my heart as I looked at the hoofed beast! And at this point it began to speak..."HI!"."AHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRR"! I screamed as I scrambled away in fear of my life! As I ran for my life I could hear the clumping of her hooves as they dug into the ground gaining on me. But then It happened. The Succubus slowed and began to wease. Then she began to cough. Aha! Apparently the Henchbroads diet of diet cokes, slim jims, cigarettes, and men’s souls had caught up with her. She slowly turned away and slinked back into the darkness. Possibly to go back to her lair to revive herself with Twinkies and ho ho’s. Whatever the case I was free and returned to my home.

My friends I survived this ordeal in order to warn you. Never doubt the existence of a Henchbroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment