Thursday, July 29, 2010

When you are laid to rest

I know this is a subject many do not want to think about. Many of you are saying to yourselves it`s too early to think about my own demise. Why I`m not even 50 yet. But after visiting a friend who had passed on it reminds one of their life and what they will leave behind. Now you might be thinking "What do you mean leave behind"?. Well when I walked around the room there were many pictures of my friend. There were pictures of him in his High School days. Some of his military career. And then there were pictures of him and his family. Then I thought to myself what pictures are there of me out there?  Suddenly my mind raced to every picture I have ruined by making a face or generally acted like a goof. I thought is this how I would want people to remember me? As this guy who couldn`t make a serious effort to take a good picture. But then I thought Wait a moment. When the inevitable comes and I pass on what will people want to see. A bunch of pictures of a nice smiling Geddon with a fake smile trying to take a nice picture. Or would they want to see the real me. The me they remembered. The Geddon who snarled his lip whenever a camera was ponted at him. The one of me  pointing at the camera and make a goofy smile. After thinking about it  I believe  my friends and family would want to remember the real me. The big goofy lug who just wanted to make people laugh and smile.

4 comments:

  1. You're probably right but a nice "normal" picture every once in a while wouldn't hurt either, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You`re right. But only a couple : D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're you. Remember this poem from high school?


    Richard Cory



    Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
    We people on the pavement looked at him:
    He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
    Clean-favoured and imperially slim.

    And he was always quietly arrayed,
    And he was always human when he talked;
    But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
    "Good Morning!" and he glittered when he walked.

    And he was rich, yes, richer than a king,
    And admirably schooled in every grace:
    In fine -- we thought that he was everything
    To make us wish that we were in his place.

    So on we worked and waited for the light,
    And went without the meat and cursed the bread,
    And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
    Went home and put a bullet in his head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I imagine when folks are looking over photos of you when you go, they will laugh and say, "He really didn't like having his picture taken, did he?"

    ReplyDelete